The Ministry of Petroleum and Energy’s (MoPE) main policy objectives in the Upstream Petroleum Sector is to provide the conducive policy and regulatory environment for the effective and efficient exploration, development, production, and utilization of Petroleum resources of The Gambia.
Petroleum Commission under the Ministry is mandated to regulate, oversee, and monitor activities in the Petroleum Upstream Sector as stipulated in the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2004.
The legislations under the upstream sector are:
- Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2004
- Model Petroleum, Exploration,Development and Production License Agreement 2022
- Income and Value Added Tax (IVAT) Act 2012
- National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) Act
- Gambia Maritime Administrative (GMA) Act
- National Environment Management (NEMA) Act 1994 & EIA Regulation 2014